Our Home Recipes
This fuss-free fish pie recipe is quick and easy to prepare. Cook in a big dish for the perfect family supper or portion up and freeze for another day.
1½ kg potatoes, peeled and halved (King Edward or Maris Piper are good)
1 shallot, finely chopped
500g salmon fillet, diced into large chunks
500g smoked haddock, diced into large chunks
Small splash of Pernod (optional)
150ml white wine
1.2l whole milk
1 star anise
50g plain flour
1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder, or 1 vegetable stock cube
50g capers, drained and finely chopped
1 lemon, juiced
300g Lyburn Gold, grated (or similar)
1. To begin, place the potatoes in a pot or large saucepan. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile melt 25g of butter on a low heat, add the shallots and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add in the star anise, then splash in the Pernod if using and then the wine. Boil everything down until practically evaporated.
4. Pour over 1 litre of milk and sprinkle in the vegetable bouillon. Simmer everything together for a further 15 minutes, then turn off the heat, remove the star anise and leave to one side.
5. Melt the remaining 60g of butter in a separate pan on a low heat and stir in the flour so you have a sandy paste. Cook for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the flavoured milk, and simmer gently to make a very thick sauce. Season to taste.
6. Turn off the heat and gently fold through your fish mix, capers and lemon juice. Scrape into a large buttered baking dish.
7. When the potatoes are cooked, drain them in a colander, then mash with the remaining milk and butter. Spread or pipe the mash over the pie. Sprinkle with cheese.
9. Place the pie on a baking tray and cook for 35 minutes until golden and just bubbling over. Leave to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with buttered spinach, peas or watercress.
Recipe by Moorhill House Head Chef, Antimo Barca
|Gold 0+ points||Platinum 2,500+ points||Black 10,000+ points|
|Exclusive members only offers|
|Complimentary upgrade at check-in (when booked direct)|
|10% off cycle hire with Forest Leisure Cycling|
|15% off hotel bar drinks from 4pm-7pm|
|Up to 50% off Exbury Gardens and Steam Railway tickets|
|Up to 30% off Beaulieu National Motor Museum tickets|
|Up to 25% off Buckler’s Hard tickets|
|Up to 33% off New Forest Wildlife Park tickets|
|Up to 25% off Marwell Zoo tickets|
|10% off lunch bill at Burley Manor and The Drift Inn (Monday - Saturday)|
|Birthday treat - complimentary fizz when you dine and room upgrade (in month of birthday and when booked direct)|
|Choice of complimentary morning newspaper|
|Early check-in and late check-out privileges|
|10% off accommodation (when booked direct)|
|1015% off Temple Spa treatments||10%||15%|
|1015% off food||10%||15%|
|15% off drink||15%|
|10% off conference & events|
*All benefits are subject to availability and terms & conditions, attraction tickets must be purchased direct with us to receive discounts.