Our Home Recipes
Homemade Pappardelle & Seafood Sauce
“During my travels around the Italian islands I came across a very traditional, simple dish called ‘Zappa Di Cozze’ (mussels in sauce) with fresh tomato sauce – it was heavenly! Taking the recipe home, it has since evolved into a homemade seafood pasta dish and is now one of my family’s absolute favourites.” – Maja Palmer, Forest Lodge Chef.
For fresh pappardelle:
5 eggs (room temperature)
500g plain flour, preferably 00
A splash of water (depending on how the dough feels)
For the sauce:
1 medium aubergine, about 400-450g, diced
Salt to taste
Fresh basil leaves
About 6 tbsp of olive oil
2 white medium onions, finely chopped
Glass of white wine
1 celery, finely sliced
2 tsp of freshly chopped garlic
500-600g of tinned plum tomatoes
200g of tomato purée
Freshly ground black pepper
50-60g of ricotta cheese
8-10 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese for the sauce, plus extra to sprinkle on top
700g of frozen sea food mix
1. Chop onions, celery and aubergine finely.
2. Put enough vegetable oil in a large pan to come 1cm up to the sides of the pan, and turn the heat to medium. When the oil warms up, place aubergine, celery and onion pieces in the pan.
3. Sauté the vegetables until they become a light golden colour and then add chopped garlic and olive oil.
4. Add defrosted seafood.
5. In a small bowl, mix tinned tomatoes, purée and white wine – combine well and add to the main pot.
6. Add all the herbs and cook for about 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
7. Taste and season to your liking (I like it well seasoned with salt and pepper).
8. Cook and drain pasta.
9. Add the ricotta, parmesan cheese and fresh basil to serve.
Recipe by Forest Lodge Chef, Maja Palmer
|Gold 0+ points||Platinum 2,500+ points||Black 10,000+ points|
|Exclusive members only offers|
|Complimentary upgrade at check-in (when booked direct)|
|10% off cycle hire with Forest Leisure Cycling|
|15% off hotel bar drinks from 4pm-7pm|
|Up to 50% off Exbury Gardens and Steam Railway tickets|
|Up to 30% off Beaulieu National Motor Museum tickets|
|Up to 25% off Buckler’s Hard tickets|
|Up to 33% off New Forest Wildlife Park tickets|
|Up to 25% off Marwell Zoo tickets|
|10% off lunch bill at Burley Manor and The Drift Inn (Monday - Saturday)|
|Birthday treat - complimentary fizz when you dine and room upgrade (in month of birthday and when booked direct)|
|Choice of complimentary morning newspaper|
|Early check-in and late check-out privileges|
|10% off accommodation (when booked direct)|
|1015% off Temple Spa treatments||10%||15%|
|1015% off food||10%||15%|
|15% off drink||15%|
|10% off conference & events|
*All benefits are subject to availability and terms & conditions, attraction tickets must be purchased direct with us to receive discounts.