Our Home Recipes
Easter Lemon Cake
Inspired by the fresh flavours of spring and specially decorated for Easter, this cake recipe is something delicious for the weekend or something fun to make with the little ones…
85g unsalted butter at room temperature
245g caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 1/2 unwaxed lemons
15g poppy seeds
165ml whole milk
235g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 egg whites
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 lemon, juiced
250g icing sugar
24cm ring mould, greased and dusted with flour
Before getting started, preheat the oven to 170°C/fan 150°C/gas 4
1. Place the butter, sugar, lemon zest and poppy seeds in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat until all the ingredients are well mixed (don’t worry if the mix looks slightly split). Slowly add the milk and continue to beat until smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture so the butter mixture is light and fluffy.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with a handheld electric whisk until stiff peaks form. Using a metal spoon, fold the egg whites into the cake mixture until well mixed but do not over mix. Pour into the prepared ring mould and smooth over with a palette knife. Bake in the preheated oven (170°C/fan 150°C/gas 4) for about 30 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touching.
4. For the syrup, put the lemon juice and zest, sugar and 100ml water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a low heat. Raise the heat and boil until it has reduced by half, or until it has a thin syrup consistency. When the hot cake comes out of the oven, pour the syrup all over the top. Leave to cool slightly in the mould before turning out onto a wire cooling rack.
5. For the glaze, mix the lemon juice and icing sugar, in a bowl until smooth (you might like to add some yellow food colouring). When the cake cools down, pour the icing all over the top.
I like to sprinkle some poppy seeds on top, but you could use chocolate Easter eggs to decorate too – Happy Easter all!
Recipe by Forest Lodge Chef, Maja Palmer.
|Gold 0+ points||Platinum 2,500+ points||Black 10,000+ points|
|Exclusive members only offers|
|Complimentary upgrade at check-in (when booked direct)|
|10% off cycle hire with Forest Leisure Cycling|
|15% off hotel bar drinks from 4pm-7pm|
|Up to 50% off Exbury Gardens and Steam Railway tickets|
|Up to 30% off Beaulieu National Motor Museum tickets|
|Up to 25% off Buckler’s Hard tickets|
|Up to 33% off New Forest Wildlife Park tickets|
|Up to 25% off Marwell Zoo tickets|
|10% off lunch bill at Burley Manor and The Drift Inn (Monday - Saturday)|
|Birthday treat - complimentary fizz when you dine and room upgrade (in month of birthday and when booked direct)|
|Choice of complimentary morning newspaper|
|Early check-in and late check-out privileges|
|10% off accommodation (when booked direct)|
|1015% off Temple Spa treatments||10%||15%|
|1015% off food||10%||15%|
|15% off drink||15%|
|10% off conference & events|
*All benefits are subject to availability and terms & conditions, attraction tickets must be purchased direct with us to receive discounts.