Group General Manager
New Forest Hotels
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Group General Manager who will provide operational support to the portfolio of New Forest Hotels’ venues, at the direction of the Managing Director. You will work alongside the Hotel General Managers and other Hotel Teams and the Central Support Office team to drive through the implementation of venue action and improvement plans. Reporting directly to the Managing Director, you will work to support the delivery of plans agreed by the board of Directors to ensure New Forest Hotel’s strategic goals and objectives are met / exceeded.
As a key ambassador for New Forest Hotels, you will assist in the promotion of the Group and its Brand. Promoting an efficient, effective and professional customer focused business culture that will be demonstrated in quality and value for money services that exceed customer expectations.
Responsible for ensuring the company meets the sites financial targets, by development of their internal & external income generating potential and the control of the onsite operational costs.
- Support the Managing Director and relevant departments in delivering the company’s corporate strategy in the areas of Service, Recruitment, HR, Health & Safety and Customer Satisfaction to ensure that company achieves its short and long-term objectives.
- Assist the General Managers and teams in the development of their annual business strategies, analyzing the current status of the operations on site.
- Working with the Finance Director and General Managers to develop and control their site-specific budgets for the business, ensuring that they have the resources required to meet their objectives within agreed financial parameters.
- Support the HR department in the development of the General Managers to ensure that they recruit effectively and that their teams are appropriately inducted, trained, appraised & motivated to carry out their responsibilities to the required standard. Ensuring that the teams are suitably notified of their working hours in advance, are given their breaks and that meals given whilst they are on duty are timely & sufficient.
- Assist in the analysis of training gaps and work with HR to maintain a calendar of training opportunities to include all compulsory / statutory training.
- Responsible for ensuring sufficient operational group wide cover at all times and levels, stepping in and being hands on when suitable cover is unavailable. For example, acting as General Manager, running a conference / wedding, carrying out interviews.
- Continually monitoring and authorising holiday requests to ensure they are within the company guidelines and suit the needs of the business, leaving sufficient cover.
- Working with the HR department to assist in the promotion of New Forest Hotels as a preferred employer that attracts and recruits the right people. Support a group wide apprenticeship program to assist future proofing our talent pool.
- Develop, implement and ensure compliance of all necessary policies and procedures to ensure that the company achieves its objectives and is a safe & healthy environment for both the team and visiting guests (COSHH, Allergen, National Minimum Wage, Food Hygiene etc).
- Working with the Facilities Manager to ensure the highest possible standards are kept of the product, within any financial constraints, by continually inspecting and feeding back required improvements and assisting in the prioritizing of these improvements taking into consideration impact on the customer / guest and team.
- Working with the Head of Marketing to ensure that the brand guidelines are maintained and that all marketing collateral on site (menus, room folders etc) is current and fit for the purposes of promoting additional sales and services.
- Responsible for the training and administration of the EPOS systems, ensuring continual use of the handhelds and developing procedures to take full advantage of their capabilities, including upsell and Allergen prompts.
- Responsible for the maintenance and update of all non-food items within the Procure wizard system – with a focus on beverage.
- Reporting on a monthly basis the current reputation of the businesses and ensuring that all customer complaints are reviewed and where necessary investigated, with any issues reported and actioned, ensuring that where required the customer receives a timely response and that any discounts / refunds or complimentary return stays that are given are within set parameters and that any learning points are shared.
- Directly responsible for any roaming operational team employed and their distribution across the group according to business needs; roaming receptionist, group spring cleaner etc
- Overall responsibility for ensuring each sites license are current and up to date, (administered by group admin) including wedding & Liquor licenses, PRS & PPL. liaising with the local authorities with regards to any anomalies and resolving these.
- Monitoring business forecasts, food, liquor and staffing costs on a weekly basis.
- Reviewing Rota’s, as and when required, to ensure the best use of the teams and their permitted working hours (smart rostering). Monitoring and advising the General Managers on any excessive / insufficient cover, including organizing and coordinating any sharing of the teams across the group when necessary.
- Continually driving positive business change together with the Directors in order to increase group profitability.
- Suitable involvement in major projects, which may include upgrading of equipment / software (tills, purchasing system’s) re-branding, refurbishments, extensions and acquisitions.
- Any other duties required to get the job done, within their capabilities and those requested by the Directors.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- At least 5 years significant managerial experience in all departments within the hotel industry
- Degree or HND in hospitality management
- Uncompromising Service standards within the hotel industry
- A strong understanding of profits and GP’s in the industry with strong business acumen
- Excellent communication and organisational skills and able to prioritise own and other’s workloads
- Experience with spreadsheets and forecasts etc
- Flexible working attitude, to be able to work as a team.
- Up to £40,000.00 depending on experience plus profit share
- 48 hour contract, working 5 days out of 7 (Evenings & weekends)
- Perk Box – access to the best perks from some of the UK’s biggest brands including discounts off your weekly shop.
- Cycle to work scheme – purchase yourself a new bike with generous discount and spread the cost
- Active Social Committee – Get involved in social events in and outside of work
- Excellent opportunities for training and development
- Pension scheme
- 28 days holiday per year plus a duvet day on your birthday
- Private healthcare package
- Staff loyalty card – rewarding you with discounts up to 50% off our products and services
- Free staff parking
- Escape to the sun and receive a discounted rate at our sister resort in Cyprus
Due to the high volume of applicants that we receive we are not able to get back to every candidate. Therefore, if you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of submitting your application, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to location own transport is essential